Livonia MI 48150,48151,48152,48153,48154
Livonia is part of Wayne County Michigan in its northwest part. It has a large suburb with neighborhoods dated back from the 1950s and 1960s. It has an easy access due to its intricate connection to the city via the metropolitan freeways. It has a total land area of 92.46 km2 and 0.41 km2 water. According to the 2010 census, Livonia has 96,942 residents ranking as the state’s 9th largest municipality of Metro Detroit.
Early settlers came from New York and New England which they named the area as Livonia where most of the migrants originated. Livonia was a name given to other places in New York and Pennsylvania as well as a place near the shorelines of the Baltic Sea where most of its early settlers came. The Territory of Michigan drawn out the borders of Livonia and incorporated it as a township on March 17, 1835. It was incorporated as a city on May 23, 1950, when residents voted for it.
Livonia attracted the attention of six US Presidents; Bill Clinton, George H. W. Bush, George W. Bush, Gerald Ford, Richard Nixon, and Ronald Reagan. One of their most memorable move of the local government is to draw out tax revenues from the Detroit Race Course, the only thoroughbred horse track in Michigan before it closed down in 1998.
Its economic growth can be traced to back when Livonia became a stop on the Detroit, Lansing, and Northern Railroad. The railroad system provides people easy access in settling into the city. They had their first post office named Giltedge from 1899 lasting until 1902.
The Rouge River was the main means of transportation into the city. In 1824, a New Yorker named Joshua Simmons bought a land and built a homestead along with his wife Hannah. Several decades after, become the wealthiest farmers in Livonia. Their properties expanded 120 acres of land with lumber from its cleared land used in Livonia’s first buildings and mills.
Livonia had massive growth during the 1940s where farms are being replaced by major businesses like General Motors Corporation and Ford Motor Company. Upon the construction of the Detroit Race Course, Livonia became the “the mecca of racing in the Midwest”. The racetrack is what drove Livonia to sign a petition being a city as it can only collect revenue from the racetrack if it became a city.
16th District Court – Livonia
32765 Five Mile Road, Livonia, MI 48154, USA
Livonia Police Department
15050 Farmington Rd, Livonia, MI 48154, USA
Greenmead Historical Village
20501 Newburgh Rd, Livonia, MI 48152, USA
Ropertis Turkey Farm
34700 Five Mile Road, Livonia, MI 48154, USA
Meadowbrook Country Club
40941 Eight Mile Rd, Northville, MI 48167, USA
AMC Livonia 20
19500 Haggerty Rd, Livonia, MI 48152, USA